Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Sleepsacks and Sleeping Bags


Stinx wears a sleep sack for naps and bedtime. I am starting to wonder when I should transition him to a normal blanket. His room is freezing cold, even in the summer, so I like that he can't kick the blanket off. Should I wait until he moves out of the crib?

I think I'm a little attached to the sleep sack due to emotional/personal reasons.

When I was about 14 I started sleeping in a sleeping bag. Every night. People told me it was weird but I didn't care. It must have started after a camping trip or overnight youth group event. It wasn't a short phase either. It lasted all through high school and even the beginning of college.

I moved to Winnipeg at 19 and stayed with a wonderful family. After a few weeks of living there, the mother asked me carefully if I planned to stay. She wasn't sure why I was still sleeping in the sleeping bag on top of her nice guest bedding. I had to explain that I was a weirdo. But I gave in, moved my clothes out of the suitcase and into the dresser, and rolled my sleeping bag up, and for the first time in 5 years, slept under the covers. I remember thinking it was strange. But I was adaptable. And I did so quickly.

The following summer was when Dad and I got married. Friends teased me about our future bedding. "Should I buy you a double person sleeping bag?" I thought it was a great idea. No one did though. So Dad converted me into a "duvet" person. And that's the way it's been since.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Spud has slept with a comforter for a while now, although he's also been in a bed for as long as he's had it. He used to kick it off, but at some point, it just seemed to click with him that it kept him warm. Now he works to keep it on.

Having said that, I am a big believer in "if it's not broke, don't fix it." If he is still happy in it, then I don't know that you need to change it?

(I do think it's a bit weird that you slept in a sleeping bag for so long...)

xmomx said...

LOL. Yeah, I'm weird.

I think when Stinx moves from the crib to a big boy bed we'll probably make the switcheroo. Although last night he slept in our bed without his sleep sack and he was fine. I'm happy he isn't dependant on it, but I do like that it works as a sleep cue for him. We'll see if we use it on this trip at all.