Monday, November 17, 2008

Jumbled thoughts on sleep and other things

I love love love when Stinx gives me kisses. Just like any mother loves receiving kisses from her child. It makes me melt. Ahhh... I love it. I also love when Stinx is nice and gentle to other kids. Yesterday in the nursery at church Stinx was walking up to the other babies and toddlers and giving them kisses on top of their heads. I like that much better than him whacking them on the head.

I'm trying to figure out what to do about Stinx's sleeping arrangements. Right now he is in the crib, and occasionally in my bed (usually between the hours of 4-8am). I'm contemplating getting him a toddler bed, or a twin bed. My lovely e-penpal from the south explained that she started her daughter off by taking the front rail of the crib off. In its place she put a bed rail. And a stool so her daughter could get in and out. This seems like a good idea. I also like the idea of a toddler bed because it's lower and fairly small. But, I also like the idea of a twin bed because it would last him a very very long time. But also with that, I don't want to buy Stinx a twin bed that will look really old and nasty in about 10 years. I don't want it to be super outdated. Oh i don't know.

But I do think I will end up co-sleeping with the next child much, much more. I'm not sure why I was so adamant about not co-sleeping with Stinx. I mean, I gave it a try and did it once in awhile. I often woke up wishing to turn over but dreading waking up Stinx. Or I'd wake up and my neck would be all kinked. If we had a king size bed it could have worked. Or if I had side-cared the crib. Or used the Co-sleeper. But I much preferred having all the space I could for the short while I could sleep. 2 hours of plenty bed space was what I wanted before the next feeding.

Yes next time around, I am envisioning myself on a bed with a bed rail nursing my tiny baby and sleeping at the same time. My cousin always talked about how she would just nurse her kids and sleep at the same time. That did not happen with Stinx, not when I tried it. I mean, now, yes I can do that, but not when he was younger. I guess it may have been new mom jitters. I'd just lie there awake wondering when he might fall asleep. Perhaps fears of him falling off the bed, or me and Dad rolling over him (Haha, that is so silly!) The other problem is that for the first month or so I was healing from the c-birth. That alone is very uncomfortable. I had a hard time getting in and out of bed. Some nights I'd roll over and find myself in pain. It just wasn't a good option for me in the begining. Then there was the fact that I couldn't find a comfortable way to nurse him lying down. This is actually the biggest reason why co-sleeping never seemed tempting to me. If I had found a super comfortable way to nurse my lil Stinx laying in bed, I probably would have co-slept from then on.

So when Stinx would wake up for a feed I would go to his room, nurse him while I sat up in a chair, and then put him back in the crib, then I'd go back to my bed. It doesn't sound too bad, but it really is when it is happening numerous times through out the night. Next time I will just keep the baby much closer to me, either in a bassinet next to the bed, or in a crib side carred to my bed. Yes, I will save myself much more sleep next time.

Oh and here's an interesting link on side-carring a crib to an adult bed.
http://www.freewebs.com/sidecarcrib/

No comments: